Felixstowe United Reformed Church
Our origins as a centre of worship in Felixstowe go back to 1869 when an Evangelical Free Church started in Felixstowe in a wooden building in Ranelagh Road. The church was enlarged in 1876 and the next door Manse was purchased.
Wycliffe Hall was built in 1898 on the corner of Cobbold Road and Ranelagh Road. By 1897 the Church was known as Christ Church Congregational Church and called its first Minister. An extension was added in 1922 and extra halls built in 1937.
In 1892 a project was started for a new Presbyterian Church and by 1900 St George’s Presbyterian Church was built on the corner of Orwell Road and Tomline Road, with a manse beside it. The Halls were extended in 1924.
Our Rose Window was refurbished in 2012 with the help of grants from the URC Eastern Synod and the Suffolk Historic Churches’ Trust.
In 1972, a significant year, a National Agreement was drawn up to form the United Reformed Church by uniting the Congregational Church in England and Wales with the Presbyterian Church of England and Wales.
In 1978 Christchurch and St George’s agreed to become one church at the Orwell Road premises as Felixstowe United Reformed Church when extensive modifications were made. The New Hall was built in 1980. The Cobbold Road premises were sold in 1980 and are now the meeting place for the Salvation Army in Felixstowe.
There has now been worship on this site for 112 years.
The banner which was created in 2000 to mark the centenary of the church